Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Sarong: Burmese daily wear

Sarong is their daily wear...

Check out the ladies behind me in beautiful sarong... 

Ok, fine... lemme crop out my annoying face....
There you go... Happy ladies in sarong


They wear it to school...

for grocery shopping...

and even for dating ;)

The problem with sarong is that it may come loose and need adjustment, especially if there had been too much movement. But, don't worry.., they have no qualms about adjusting it in public places. 


Erm, I may seem like a pervert getting such photos, but let put it this way, that I had cultural shock that I had to take a photo. Ok, that sound even weird.. in a state of shock but yet my hands were quick enough to get a snapshot of it. Forget about it, lets just not pursue why I had taken those photos, yeah? 

Moving on...

Another problem is that it is without pocket, but hey... one can always do some life-hack to get around that problem ;)

Even without pocket, with a little bit of creativity, you can still keep your wallet and phone on you.

Anyway, had an interesting travelling snippet whilst looking around to buy sarong.

While on the way to Bago, the driver had a quick pit stop for toilet break, refuel and smoke and coffee break for him. There was time to spare, so, I walked over to the nearby weekend market. As I walked through it, I came across a stall that sells sarong.


It's a relatively undeveloped town, so the stall owner doesn't speak English and no passerby could translate for me. I had relied on passerby when I have to overcome language barrier in the main city. The shop owner, hand-signed to me the number 1 and 5, which I assumed as 15 USD per piece (about 15,000 kyat). Wanting to ask for discount if I buy more, I wrote on my notepad...

1 ---> 15, 000
3 --> 30, 000

Thank god she can read English numbers because a few days before, the locals that I met don't understand English numbers.

Anyway.... showed the lady what I'm bargaining for and she gasped. She looked so shocked that I thought she wasn't happy with the discount I asked for. Before I could bargain to something else agreeable, she took my pen and cancelled the last zero. So, apparently a sarong costs only 1,500 kyat (about 2USD).

She must have thought I was mad to think it was
15,000kyat per piece ðŸ˜‚

No comments:

Post a Comment